1 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
Juice and grated zest of one orange (or 1/3 cup juice and 1 1/4 teaspoon dried rind)
Pinch of salt
1 1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup grated dark chocolate
1/4 cup heavy cream or half and half (not milk)
3 Tablespoons additional sugar
1/2 cup light rum
- Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan (glass is best) either with flour spray or grease and flour
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth Mix in sugar and eggs, beating to a light froth
- Stir in the orange juice, grated zest, and salt
- Add the cream, mix
- Add the flour and the baking powder, beating well, but do not overmix। If mixture is too thick, add a touch or cream or orange juice to thin a bit Stir in the grated chocolate, just to give a tweed-like appearance to the batter।
- Pour into the greased and floured 9x5 loaf pan (glass is best)
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 45-50 minutes। Check for doneness it should not be too wet; toothpick should come out clean but not dry. Add time if needed.
- Cool for 5 minutes but do not remove from pan।
- Pierce top of cake with fork or toothpick, to allow rum/sugar mixture to seep in. Set aside.
Warm the rum with the remaining sugar carefully and slowly over low heat। The rum should be warm, not hot, and the sugar just dissolved. Do not overheat.
- Pour warm rum mixture gently over warm cake in pan, allowing the rum mixture to seep in. Cool completely in the pan.